Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Movement that is Anna

Truth be told, I am a skeptic and having lived in our 'Mahaan Bharat' for 30 odd years I have ample reason to be. From fraud yogis to corrupt MDs we the people of India have lived through it all. Or have we?

After countless scams and numerous cheating and lying ministers, along comes a man born of humble beginnings to an unskilled laborer and his wife, in Ahmednagar. Along comes a man who has not studied beyond std 8 and has no fancy call center accent. Along comes a man who served in the Indian army as a driver and who retired voluntarily with nary a star on his shoulder. Along comes a man who began by steering the people of his village towards water conservation. Along comes a man who returned the Padmashree award to the President of India. Along comes a man who believes that development is marred by corruption. Along comes Anna.
And my skepticism wavers.

For the more affluent, educated, dare I say snobs of India who drive their SX4s ( bought on loan mind you) and send their kids to the newest latest IB school ( whats wrong with our regular schools that produced the likes of Abdul Kalam and Ratan Tata) who eat at 'Icannotpronouncethenameitssoexotic' restaurants - Anna is a mystery. I cannot count the number of times over the last 2 months that I have overheard these shiny happy uniformly uninformed people, lament the disruption of life and times that 'movement Anna' has caused.
And from what we read in the papers and see on the news, the government feels the same although for vastly different reasons. But if one looks closely at the reactions of people who do not support 'cause Anna' one will see that it is either because they are at the giving end or at the receiving end. Or they are skeptics - like me.

The questions are many.
Do we agree with all of the Lokpal bill?
Why are the dalits not supporting the bill?
Why are some 'learned' and 'educated' people reserved in their support of Anna?
Why is he fasting?
Are political parties supporting him only as a show for public support?
Does he stand for everything I believe in?
By supporting him, will I be aligning myself with certain political factions that I do not like?

Me, I do not have the answers. Anna's fast against corruption has raised more questions than ever before. Questions I must ask myself.

One thing I know for certain - I support the fight against corruption. If Anna is leading it today - then I support Anna.
And I say to you - Do not condemn his manner. Commend his courage.


4 comments:

  1. Hazaro mein ek, indeed, and some might say a little too monomaniacal, but that's OK by me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a skeptic too, it's the very same mob mentality that has my blood boiling from a very different quarter.

    The thing that i keep questioning is, how many of the corrupt petrol pump attendants [like the one you wrote about earlier and the dozen that i've put up with in my lifetime], corrupt rickshaw drivers, corrupt traffic policemen, slimy toll booth operators, land grabbers et al, camouflaged themselves wearing the " I am Anna " topi????

    If you've watched "Inglorious Basterds" theres a part in the end where Pitt' character asks Hans Landa, the nazi who's now in their custody if he's gonna take off his uniform, which would make him undistinguishable from the general folk, so he gives him something he can't take off!!! These corrupt slimy weasels are camouflaging themselves in this cause!

    What I'm saying here is that i cannot stand a hypocrite, at any magnitude, whether it's a cab driver in Calcutta who won't return my 2 rupees saying he has no change or the government of India squandering Billions. Corruption starts at home my friends, right under the proverbial nose! And culling it there is what matters, and the cascade effects will show!

    I guess the only thing i share with Anna, is Ahmednagar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to move the hype in the other direction!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4zRHEw21h8&feature=share

    ReplyDelete