Monday, March 3, 2014

You know who you are....and you are my friend.

My friends are samples. All one of a kind. Sometimes I think the unwritten criteria for being my friend is that you should have done at least 2 things in your life you are embarrassed about and 10 things people hate you for. And I have some wonderful friends and they all fit the bill.

The reason I take to writing about them is because last week someone told a very dear friend of mine that I actually don't like her. That I don't like her dress sense, I don't like her baking, I don't like the way she lives her life and I don't like her staying with me.
Now this was really amusing because I do like her for precisely the above reasons. I respect her 'it's my body' dress sense and I wish I could wear half the stuff she does with as much panache. I love her baking and her cooking is to die for. I am amazed at the way she manages her children and her business single handedly and still finds the time to do special things for those she loves and above all I look forward to us spending time together - cos I get to eat good food and catch up on sleep on account of my children enjoying her company.
You know who you are and I'm sending you my order end of this week.

And since I am on the subject of crazy friends, let me tell you about the few others who have enriched my life by their presence and presents. There is this one who is cuckoo as they come. Grossly misunderstood by virtue of her tendency to break into laughter - loud and long. She dances anywhere and anytime at the slightest sound of a melody and is partial to jewellery and shoes. She is OCD and carries wet wipes and spray wherever she goes. She is an amazing cook and she has a heart of gold that melts at the lamest sob story. She is generous to a fault and still believes in Santa, mermaids and happy endings. Everyone thinks she has it rich and easy..but boy do I know different.
You know who your are and our Saturday morning coffee is long overdue.

I could go on and on... tell you about my friend who runs. Runs and runs. Runs when she is happy and runs when she is sad. About how she misses home but has sacrificed her love for butter chicken and mastani, for the sake of her husband and children. You know who you are and I'm saving for our 40th!
Or about my friend who thinks her single-hood defines her. Lives for the happiness of her parents and extended family and thereby has sacrificed having one of her own. You know who you are and have no doubt you are loved.
Or about my other friend who has travelled and lived in parts of the world that I cant pronounce and that you would probably need a magnifying glass to find on the globe map. And about how she has sacrificed her own yearn for stability to be with the man she loves. You know who you are and we need to skype soon.
And then there is my friend who is a single mother. Raising her daughter with love and laughter and tears and fears. Who has never grumbled or regretted choosing to have this little girl and who was brave enough to leave the comforts of the west and live in India. You know who you are and I salute you - you fritata queen.

The thing is that all my friends are people who have chosen to colour outside the lines. Outside the lines that society has defined. People who have done such crazy things in their lives that whats her face Cyrus and whats her base Kardashian's antics would pale in comparison. But I love them because they own each and everything they have done. With regret, with glee and sometimes with nostalgia ( especially after a bottle of bourbon) but they own it. And that is the only way to live life.

So to all my friends out there. You know who you are. And I thank God for you.

"I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be ashes than dust!"
― Jack London














No comments:

Post a Comment